The Wiggly Tower The Wiggly Tower

I liked it. It was enjoyable, but short. And I don't mean short in the duration of the film, but in the story. I felt like the story started out as a mystery and then there was some filler, and then the ending - the answer to what the character is doing. I don't feel like there was a solid beginning or middle to the storyline. Maybe if you had some hints as to who the character is, or proposed a problem/solution the character tried and failed at it would be more interesting. It was sort of straightforward.

I liked the art style and you put a ton of work into this and it shows. I would have liked a couple better backgrounds, or maybe a couple crossfades to show movement in them. Like the overview of the carnival near the end seemed a little sloppy and simple and it looked a bit rushed.

The animation was decent for what it was, it looked hard to do because of the medium you chose. I think some poses and movements were a bit awkward and the timings could have been better but it got the idea across well.

Music helped the atmosphere.

Overall, I did like it, but I think the low score you spoke of is a result of a seemingly incomplete story and a couple of the rushed illustrations. It definitely looks like the beginning had a lot more work put into it than the end.

Good work, hope to see your next film!

DJJ-asshole responds:

Thanks for the critique, I appreciate your thoughts.

To be honest, I didn't know what I wanted to do. I made a movie without a concrete plan, but straightened the story at the end. There is no concrete message, nor any linear story to it. That's why it felt like I left the viewer hanging in there. Nevertheless, I agree with the sloppy story telling.

The ending wasn't rushed at all, I planned that from the beginning already, though it might feel like it, because it's a still image. I couldn't think of any other way to convey it better though.

As for the animation, I can honestly say that I think it's one of my best animation, though a lot of people call it "just decent". If you pay attention to the details, you can see my physics are way better than it used to be, but I kind of get why people think it's okay / bad. I animated on threes, meaning that I used an average of 8 keyframes per second. Even though not a lot of people dig that kind of style, I do not think it matters quality-wise. And I certainly don't think this is one of the average animations on the portal. By the way, about the awkward poses of the panda, I had a good version of it, as in, a realistic pose of how one should hold a hammer. But I didn't like it, because that's what everyone would do. I wanted to make something messy and unorthodox, hence the weird hammer holding.

But in the end, I do understand that it's an abstract story and it could be conveyed in a better way. So again, thanks for the review.

Calumn & Castello Calumn & Castello

I must say your art style is very good. I like the colors, the character designs, and the lighting. Background art was pretty cool too!

As for the animation, I thought it was good for the most part, but the timing of the movements are off. The key poses of the characters worked, but you have to space the poses out so the timing is more real. For example, when he got out from under the bed and did the little sway (side view, looking left), it was too quick. Space the key poses out more on the timeline so that you have more in-betweens to lengthen the motions.

The In-betweens in this were just okay, i thought as they depended on good key frames. A few of them are a bit sloppy, but with cleaner line work and more thought put into the spacing and timing of the key pose frames, it should be a lot better.

As for the music, please dear lord, take it out and put something else in. Don't use synth pop music with lyrics for your animation. I want the story to be told through the video, not Owl City yelling in my ear. The track is too upbeat throughout the whole thing and it just made me want to groove to the music, not be told a story. It doesn't fit when you know you have to fade the music out part-way through the song suddenly when the credits come. Unless it's a music video, like for the whole song, and the pacing of the animation matches the pacing of the music, it just doesn't work, sorry.

Like I said, love the style, just work on the timing of the key poses and really think about how long each movement would take, and adjust those key poses accordingly before adding in-betweens.

fantasticmissfox responds:

Really Helpful feedback here, thanks a lot for this! Timing is definitely something I have to work on and something I admittedly struggled with creating this, I'll keep practicing and studying, my summer goal is to study and animate sequences of movement to improve on this :)
As for the music, I completely understand and agree with what you're saying by the animation telling the story instead, with my next animation I'll keep a better eye on tracks and search around a bit more for more suitable material. Thanks once again for the very helpful feedback! :)

Nap Nap

yeah this is really good dude

i loved the music, i loved the transitions from scene to scene, the camera work was cool, you got creative with the animation techniques for animating masses of sheep at once - really go the message across there. and most of all looooove the shepherd's character design. can't wait for your next projects, youve got a lotta potential

Spillkaidah responds:

Thanks a bunch, man! haha that zoom out and the sheep were the two biggest hurdles for me, i'm really glad you felt they worked.

SMRPG Waltz of the Forest SMRPG Waltz of the Forest

MEH

the graphics were alright. definitely a step up from your previous stuff. but it was pretty basic and not a very original style. everything was very basic colors and shapes and some generic shading. a lot of it was a slideshow with some random backgrounds, and i feel like you could have made the references better than just showing the characters slide by, like animating the toad kid playing with the dolls in rose town or whatever. you know, something of SUBSTANCE happening?

the song you spent a lot of time on but i like the original more, and it's still very generic and repetitive. i'm honestly tired of the forest maze theme and i feel like other songs do the game more justice.

yeah kind of disappointing to be honest, there's some truly great material in the game you missed out on by just creating another 'slideshow music video'. please have something actually happen next time, it's easy enough if you spend more time on backgrounds and storyboarding.

Mario's Invincible Song Mario's Invincible Song

I agree with NewShape

The song was the only thing created originally, and it was still really awful. I can't believe you spent time writing and recording that. It seems like this would only be funny 1 time in an impromptu setting if you were conversing with friends while drunk, playing mario kart or something. Work on your lyrics, go outside, travel, get more inspiration, because it looks like the only inspiration you have for your jokes is video games and masturbation. </constructive criticism>

PS. I agree with josh6403, who gave you a 10. it does sound like peter griffin. but that's not such a good thing

Grizzly Bear Man Grizzly Bear Man

huh, cool!

i really liked it. it looks like you experimented with a lot of new techniques and some interesting concepts. i really enjoyed the backgrounds, colors, and the use of typography. character designs were good as well. i know you probably spent a ton of time on this to get it done for class, but i just have to take a point off for some of the choppy animation. they keyframes were good though and i can imagine the inbetweens making it look a lot better! :P

brb goin to take a bathroom break until Bears Huggin comes on

notnath responds:

yeah due to time restraint i decided to not fully animate and try to make it look intentional, either way im happy with the outcome!

The Power of Myth The Power of Myth

awesome

i love how the ideas come straight from your imagination onto the screen. the animation fits the music you chose and i like how it all flows together. the part with the guy running to the left with all the colors moving behind him was my favorite part

Felix's Showreel Felix's Showreel

awesome

loved the character designs and animation style. you're probably one of my favorites on newgrounds. i give you a 9 because a lot of the stuff in here could be taken out in my opinion. some of it just doesn't seem to be 'the best of your best' material. i donno. keep up the amazing work dude can't wait for your next movies.

Avada Kedavra Avada Kedavra

amazing

you had a lot of awesome expressions to show off the characters' personalities. i thoroughly enjoyed the animation. you put a lot of work into it and it shows. good work.

only thing i take a point off for is that it was more of a music video than a story driven cartoon. but nonetheless, the art was fantastic. keep up the good work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome Reach Awesome Reach

i thought it was pretty funny

you have your own animation style and i appreciate the humor involved in the animation aside from any of the 'storyline'. i like how you achieved good animation even though the characters were at times so distorted.

good work